What I'm Reading

Friday, January 19, 2007

SNGs

I hate playing SNGs for some reason. They just don't do it for me. That being said, I nearly busted my FTP account a couple weeks ago and planned to transfer from funds back there from UB. When Neteller shut down, this couldn't be done, so I've been playing $5 SNGs on there to replenish it the old-fashioned way.

There's one thing about SNGs that I absolutely love (besides the fact that they're fairly mechanical-- which generally I hate but it allows me to four or five table them and the variance is low) is the end game when the blinds are ridiculously high. You can open-jam every hand and people will still lay down to you. Yesterday, I was even getting comments from people like "you got somewhere to be?" but they'd still fold way too often. It looks like a stupid, maniacal play, but if they keep mucking and playing way too weakly, there's almost no risk at all in doing it.

Not much else exciting going on. I have been focusing on not being so lazy with my open-raise sizing (i.e., making smaller raises from the front and bigger raises on the button and in the cutoff) instead of just hitting 'bet pot' but it's a real minor difference.

I won't get into the open-raising thing too much because it's been done before by a million people, but here's a good link:

Chris Ferguson

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book also covers this concept a fair amount.

Chipp has also broken it down for me pretty well in an old thread called "varying opening raise sizes".

That's all for now, hopefully something exciting'll happen soon.

No comments: