What I'm Reading

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Nanowrimo done, I river quads



Ding! Took me only 23 days. 50,070 words long (I found a word I needed to add right after I posted on +1 taht I'd finished, so my count of 50,069 was wrong), or 85 pages in Times New Roman, size 12, single spaced. I also won another $18 from Nate Kellogg by doing this unless he manages to write 50K words within the next five days.

Been playing a decent amount of live poker lately, but not for huge money. The past half-week has been bigger in comparison-- ten or twenty dollar buy-in cash games as opposed to two dollar tournaments to kill time. I was up a pathetic 15 on the week until today, when Truax played an overpair in omaha like a huge donkey and somehow managed to get there.

Came home and played online. Found myself stuck prety early after taking a couple beats and then paying off a couple made draws like an idiot. Most of the hands weren't that interesting, but I really like this hand, if for no other reason that I won it:

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter


Stack sizes:
UTG: $21
UTG+1: $58.25
CO: $61.60
Button: $22.80
SB: $13.20
Hero: $49.25


Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero checks.


Flop: ($2.5, 5 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets $1, Button calls, SB folds, Hero raises to $4, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Button folds.


Turn: ($11.5, 2 players)
Hero bets $5, UTG+1 calls.


River: ($21.5, 2 players)
Hero is all-in $39.75, UTG+1 calls.


Results:
Final pot: $101
Hero showed 5d Qh
UTG+1 mucks 9s Ts


Not bad. I dunno how I feel about the flop play. I think maybe in the long run, I might be better served to lead out. That way, if the 9's decide to raise (to gain information) I can just call, and hopefully check-raise the turn. Plus, check-raising the flop puts me in a funny spot if a K or 8 comes on the turn. Since I'm not worried about a 9 and want to avoid JT, I think I might've been better served to raise a little bit more, if I decide to take that line at all.

Anyways, the turn play I think is pretty standard.

The river is the part of the hand I really like. I know I have the best hand, and that my opponent has one of the following hands: 1) a nine 2) JT. I didn't even consider the possibility of him having other hands. So what do I do?

If he has a nine:
-It's gonna be hard for him to get away from this hand. Even though I was representing the queen with my play, it's way harder for me to have it now. Since I didn't raise PF, he's gonna be hard-pressed to put me on TT/JJ/KK/AA. So he might put me on either a nine or a missed draw. If he puts me on those two hands, by jamming-- even for twice the pot size, he's always gonna call. The only hand he can really fear here is quads, and since it's so rare, he's unlikely to give me credit.

If he has JT:
-No bet will get him to call. I only have two options for him to put more money in the pot.
1) Bet a tiny amount, and hope he senses weakness and raises.
2) Check, hoping to induce a bluff.
But I think I'd showed enough strength in the hand that he'd be unlikely to make a move. Additionally, since there was trips on the board, most people are unlikely to make a move since there are so many hands that people are going to pay-off with (basically any pair, at least if your opp. is a bad player, and I was new to the table and have a cowgirl avatar on FT, so people might assume I'm a total donkey).

So out of those possibilities, I figured I should jam, and he called almost isntantly. NH me.

I don't have work for another week, so I'll have a lot more time to play, hopefully. The laptops been acting like a bitch lately, so I may be getting a new one soon.

Okay, that's all for tonight.

No comments: