What I'm Reading

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Degenerate Corner

This is a sick game.

From Jerrod's livejournal:

Received this hilarious email today from someone else who knows Matt Hawrilenko (who has just arrived in Paris):

Matt: paris is AMAZING
i thought it could be nothing but a disappointment
but it's gorgeous
so many old buildings. so many creperies.
(he just got in today)
[...]
10 minutes later....
[...]
Hoss_TBF: posts small blind $100


I can imagine the dialogue between the poker addict and the girlfriend they're traveling with...

GF: Hey, let's go see the Eiffel Tower!
PA: In a little bit, there's a juicy game on Stars.

[two hours later]

GF: Ready to go?
PA: Not now, I'm stuck. We'll go tomorrow.

From aba's blog on CR:
I am on the biggest downswing of my life that reached 1.2 million dollars today. Most of the losses have come at PLO and just in the past week.

This is gross for a few reasons.
1) In a 300/600 PLO game, this is a 20 buy-in downswing. And it's unlikely this was limited to a game that high.
2) This is coming from what is possibly, and very likely, the best online player in the wold.
3) It's 1.2 million fucking dollars. To put that into perspective, that's the same amount of money that Sam Farha won in the 2003 World Series.

Gross.

Speaking of the 2003 WSOP Main Event, I think it's funny how often you'll hear people refer to it and say that Farha deserved the Main Event win, that Chris Moneymaker was lucky/an idiot and that Farha was such a superior player. Watch it again. I'll give you a clue: Farha didn't play as well as most people remember, and honestly Moneymaker played much better than he's given credit for.

And speaking of Sam Farha and degeneracy, I remember a story lucko told sometime last summer about the 2005 WSOP (sorry if I butcher the details). Farha and another player he didn't recognize (lucko said he's pretty sure it was Sean Sheikhan) were betting on something, probably playing props during the tournament. Farha was down $12.5K to Sean. When they were quitting the bets, they decided to flip a coin for the difference. Sammy called it, lost, and flipped a 25k chip to Sean.

I just realized how strangely I went off on various tangents here. Sorry if that was distracting. It's 8 a.m., and I'm about to go to bed.

Oh, a couple other things:

Full Tilt finally updated to have re-sizable tables. I'll probably be doing some more cash play on there in the near future. PAHUD was giving me some problems since the update, but apparently using the beta version circumvents this problem if you turn on Flicker Free Drawing. I have no idea what this means, but it sounds simple enough. I'm about to DL the beta version now.

I finally broke 500 in a non-computer Scrabble game. I ended up getting 515 against Justin, but had to draw sickly good (all 4 power letters, both blanks, and THEN bingoing twice) to pull it off.

Okay, that's all for now.

1 comment:

Hoss_TBF said...

actually, my fiance was the one who said, "Look! there's a game! play it you lazy . . ." :-)

Matt