What I'm Reading

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Ups and Downs

March isn't starting off very well. I'm up, but just a tad, and I feel like I'm making beginner mistakes. I attempted way too many bluffs today, especially in spots where I knew for a fact that I was going to be called. I watched myself doing this, chastisizing my hand as I clicked "bet $20" but I was hopeless to stop it.

I played 1/2 for a little bit today, but then found myself playing this hand...

Hand #39412689-61884 at Fountain (No Limit Hold'em)
Started at 05/Mar/07 19:03:28

themffulton is at seat 0 with $199.20.
Red Moondog is at seat 1 with $227.
Chvbngnzreal is at seat 2 with $628.15.
iamadrunkard is at seat 4 with $129.95.
RUPokerGal is at seat 5 with $266.35.
The button is at seat 2.

iamadrunkard posts the small blind of $1.
RUPokerGal posts the big blind of $2.

themffulton: Ks Ad
Red Moondog: -- --
Chvbngnzreal: -- --
iamadrunkard: -- --
RUPokerGal: -- --

Pre-flop:

themffulton raises to $7. Red Moondog folds.
Chvbngnzreal re-raises to $24. iamadrunkard folds.
RUPokerGal folds. themffulton re-raises to $75.
Chvbngnzreal goes all-in for $628.15. themffulton
goes all-in for $199.20. Chvbngnzreal is returned
$428.95 (uncalled).

Flop (board: Jc 3h Tc):

(no action in this round)


Turn (board: Jc 3h Tc Ah):

(no action in this round)


River (board: Jc 3h Tc Ah 7s):

(no action in this round)




Showdown:

Chvbngnzreal shows As Ac.
Chvbngnzreal has As Ac Jc Tc Ah: three aces.
themffulton shows Ks Ad.
themffulton has Ks Ad Jc Tc Ah: a pair of aces.


Hand #39412689-61884 Summary:

$2 is raked from a pot of $401.40.
Chvbngnzreal wins $399.40 with three aces.
----------------------------------------------------------------


...and moved back to .5/1 for the evening. I was worried that I'd overplayed this a bit, but the guy was playing 47/26/2 (albeit over a mere 18 hands), but lucko and mag both told me that, although having to call $125 more is a little sick, there's really no getting away from it in this spot.

After this hand and a series of a few (previously mentioned) detestable plays at .5/1, I took a short break, gathered my thoughts, and told myself that I was going to play well.

At this point, I was stuck about $200 or $250 for the month, having been up a bit from yesterday.

I played for about an hour laying in bed and won a little. Feeling cool, calm, and way too fucking confident for a guy who had previously been playing about as awful poker as possible, I drove down to the Aroma (coffee shop downtown I frequent way too often, for those who don't know) and logged on again.

I played hard and focused as hard as I could. I trapped, got max value (while dodging my opponents outs), played aggressively against the right idiots, and bluffed at the right times. And obviously, I got a little lucky.

I lost about 20 on the day. Not bad, all things considered. I wish that I had played well earlier in the day, but I learned some things from my mistakes. Mostly, I just have to consciously remember to always bring my A game or not even bother sitting down. This game is hard enough when you take into account variance and having to compete against good, aggressive opponents; I've gotta be fucking nuts if I think I can be lazy while playing and hope to end up a winner.

In non-poker news, I watched Vertigo for the first time tonight. Fucking incredible film. Definitely see it if you haven't.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I'm not even sure I four-bet a 42/27 guy. I shove there and deal with it if he's got aces or kings. Sucks when that shit happens when you're taking a shot though, tough hand, but nice comeback.

And Vertigo is the nuts. I love Hitch. Check out Shadow of a Doubt sometime.

NFulton said...

I'm very uncomfortable with the four-bet preflop, but Josh said he thinks that's QQ/JJ/the rare AQ often enough that it's fine to do. I think there's good FE when I'm against JJ too, and some against QQ.

I'm still not sure though. One thing I do know though is that my four-betting range used to be aces, kings, and sometimes queens. I think that's too narrow/exploitable.